Ocean Sustainability: Doing Your Part
We are dedicated to be as sustainable as possible here at Blue Moon Swim. Our bikinis are made from recycled materials which is awesome and all, but another big part of being a responsible sustainable business owner is informing you, the customers, why it is very important to be do the same within your self while wearing our bikinis. I hope this page reaches the right audience and it inspires you to contribute to making a difference:)
Coral reefs have become bleached over time, taking away the home of many species of fish. One of the biggest causes of this problem is sunscreen. Luckily, its an easy switch and there are many amazing brands of sunscreen that are 100% reef safe. When shopping for your reef safe sunscreen, you have to watch out because in some places there is no ban on these harmful chemicals and in other places, like Hawai'i, there are only a couple chemicals that are banned. Because of this, legally they can call it reefe-safe. PLEASE read your ingredient list before buying and avoid these ingredients:
Any nanoparticles or “nano-sized” zinc or titanium (if it doesn’t explicitly say “micro-sized” or “non-nano” and it can rub in, it’s probably nano-sized)
Any form of microplastic, such as “exfoliating beads”
- fertilizing your plants and only giving them as much as they need
- pick up after your pets when they use the bathroom outside
- properly dispose of chemicals such as paint, oil, antifreeze, household cleaning products, ect. instead of dumping them in storm drains or street gutters.
- being sure to clean up any outside spills of these products as well.
- wash your car on your lawn and don't put any soap into the ocean in any way shape or form.
- dispose of your lawn clippings in a compost pile; get septic inspections and pumpouts up to date, every 3-5 years; and use rain gardens or rain barrels to harvest the rooftop rain.
I know this was a lot, but I hope you read it all and are going to try to contribute with us to help save our planet.:)